Residents ServicesCommunity Home Page
Welcome to your new Organics Recycling Program!
CR&R Environmental Services, together with the City of Tustin, will be launching the new Organics Recycling Program on July 1st, 2021. This new program will co-collect food scraps and yard waste in your green cart. The organic material collected will be taken to one of CR&R’s approved composting facilities to be converted into compost.
Organics Recycling FAQs
- How often is my green organics cart going to be picked up? Weekly on your collection day.
- If I don’t have much organic material, can I put my kitchen food scrap container out for collection? No. All organic material must be placed in your green organics cart.
- Does pet waste go into the green organics cart? No. Pet waste needs to be placed into the black landfill cart.
- What if I don’t currently have a green cart? A 35 gallon green organics cart will be delivered to you between June 28th – July 22nd, 2021.
Additional Outreach Items (click on links below for more information):
- *Organics Recycling to Compost* (click here for video)
- 2021 Residential Service Guide
- Organics Announcement Letter
- Previously Green Waste “exempt” Announcement Letter
- Tustin Summer 2021 Residential Organics Newsletter
Tips for your Kitchen Food Scrap Container
- Empty your container after every meal
- Sprinkle baking soda on top of your food scraps
- Line your container with a compostable bag
- Place pieces of torn newspaper or paper bag on the bottom of the container to absorb liquids
- Drain excess liquids before placing food scraps in the container
- Your kitchen food scraps container is dishwasher safe!
Tips for your Green Organics Cart
- Place yard waste in the very bottom of the cart first to absorb liquids
- Alternate layers of yard waste and food scraps
- Keep the cart in a covered or shaded area out of direct sunlight
Curbside Pickup Information
- Place your containers at curbside no later than 6:30 a.m. on collection day.
- Please place your carts side-by-side approximately one (1) foot apart and at least three (3) feet from any obstruction (i.e. car, fire hydrant, trees).
- Place your carts with the handles and wheels facing towards your home.
- Containers should be removed from curbside within 12 hours after service.
- The black container is for regular waste.
- The blue container is for recyclables.
- The green container is for Organics.
Scheduled Pickup Days (PDF - 1.44MB)
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If the holiday falls during the week, service will be postponed by one day for the remainder of the week. Example: If Independence Day is a Monday, and your normal collection day is Thursday, we'll see you on Friday.
- 35 gallon automated container - 27"Hx 23"Wx 23"D
- 65 gallon automated container - 41"Hx 27"W x 33"D
- 95 gallon automated container - 45.5"Hx 31"Wx 37"D
For construction and clean up projects you may order the following temporary containers:
- 3 Yard Temporary Bin - 4'H x 4'W x 6'9"L for clean up projects - 500 lb limit
- 10 Yard Lowboy - for dense material such as dirt, rock, concrete, plaster, and sod.
- 40 Yard Roll Off - for mixed light weight material such as wood, drywall, garage junk, papers, plastics, and other similar waste.
No hazardous waste is accepted in any of our containers, please see our section under Hazardous Waste for additional information.
It's important to identify and remove materials unsuitable for recycling. Please review this section for more information on what's acceptable and unacceptable for Recycling. If you have questions about how to join the recycling program in your area, or plan a clean-up project, please contact the office located closest to you.
Recyclable Paper Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items Any White Paper Mixed products such as combinations of paper and metal. Corrugated Cardboard Waxed Paper Junk Mail Waxed Milk or Juice Cartons Magazines Phonebooks Chipboard (Cereal/Cracker Boxes) Newspaper Computer paper Recyclable Plastics Please remove liquids, lids and food residue from all recyclables before placing them in the recycling container. Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items PET: soft drink bottles Flower/Plant Containers HDPE: detergent containers, plastic water/milk containers No Mixed Products (ie plastic/metal combination) Yogurt Containers Shopping Bags Plastic Toys Dry clean bags Recyclable Metal Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items Aluminum Cans Automotive Parts Tin Cans Plumbing Parts Food and Juice Jars No Mixed Products such as combinations of metal and paper Empty Paint Cans (dry paint is OK) Aluminum Foil Recyclable Glass Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items Food and Beverage Bottles Pyrex / Ceramic Glass Jars Mirrors Wine Bottles Fluorescent Tubes Soda and Juice Bottles Light Bulbs Organics Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items Fruits / Vegetables Animal Waste Meat / Fish / Dairy Palm Branches Breads / Grains Diseased Plants Grass / Leaves Sod/Dirt Prunings / Wood
It is illegal to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) through the automated residential collection program. HHW must be disposed of at a certified hazardous waste collection center. The City of Tustin has the following local drop-off locations that accept batteries.
- Tustin City Hall 300 Centennial Way (also accepts bulbs and fluorescent tubes)
- Tustin Senior Center 200 South C Street
- Tustin Shell (Jamboree & Irvine Blvd) 13121 Jamboree Road
- Woodwards Ace Hardware 2343 N Tustin Avenue
- Tustin Library, 345 E Main Street
If you have other HHW as listed below please contact the County of Orange at 714-834-6752 or visit oclandfills.com for HHW Collection Centers and hours of operation.
Electronic waste (e-waste) is an item such as a computer monitor, television, cell phone or other like materials. Due to the high amounts of lead and chemicals found in E-waste, they are not allowed into local landfills.
Refrigerators contain freon and other chemicals which require special handling as well. CR&R will collect these items from your residence. To arrange a curbside pick-up for e-waste or a refrigerator, please use our
Online Scheduling Service.
Items that cannot fit in your automated containers, such as a chair or a couch, are considered "bulky items." A bulky item is an object that can be handled by a two-person crew and may include washers, dryers, sofas or other large materials. Each residential customer is entitled to four (4) bulky item pick-ups up to (4) items, free of charge per calendar year. Additional bulky item pick-ups will be provided for a nominal charge. To make arrangements for a bulky item pick-up on your regular waste collection day, please use our
Online Scheduling Service.
Christmas tree collection will begin on December 26th for a two week period through January. Please remove all ornaments, lights, stands, and cut the tree in half if over 6 feet tall. Place your tree curbside on your service day and our tree collectors will come by in a separate truck, there is no need to call the office.